Commercial Modification Permits are required for:
- New Business Tenant Improvements.
- Modifications to existing commercial buildings.
Commercial Modification Permits are not required for:
- Interior and exterior decorating, example: carpet, painting, floors, cabinets, shelves, etc.
If a Commercial Modification permit is required, this guide may help you through the permit process. A Flow Chart is also available for your assistance.
A Commercial Permit Package consists of:
- One Commercial Modification Permit Application
- Two floor plans
- Two drawings of modification (If awning, need size of awning)
- Two energy calculations if necessary (When adding square footage to building, the calculations are just for that area)
- One copy of your City Business License receipt
Preparing the documents
- Print off or pick up a Commercial Modification Permit Application. Fill out all information and sign application.
- When plans are drawn by:
- Architect or Engineer – Plans must be wet stamped and signed on every page.
- Contractor – Plans must list contractor information and be signed on every applicable page.
Submitting the Application
- Bring the Commercial Modification Permit Package to the Mesquite Building Department, located in City Hall at 10 E. Mesquite Blvd.
- A $75.00 submittal fee must be paid when application is submitted. This fee will be applied to the permit.
- Plan review time is approximately 10-21 working days each time the application is submitted. Complete and accurate plans will shorten the time needed for review and resubmittal.
Corrections and Resubmitting
- If corrections are needed on the plans, the plan reviewer will call for you to pick up the plans. Plan Review Comments will be with the plans listing the corrections needed.
- Make the corrections and resubmit a full Commercial Modification Permit Package, Comment Sheet, and Sign-Off Sheet. No further payment is needed for resubmittal.
Picking up the Approved Permit
- The Permit Technician will call when the permit is approved and tell you if additional fees are required.
- Come in to the Mesquite Building Department and pay additional fees, if any. You will be given a copy of the permit, an approved set of plans, an inspection card and your receipt.
- If you are not sure of what inspections will be required, talk to the Permit Technician before you leave.
What’s the Next Step?
Click here for instructions on scheduling inspections.