Mechanical Permits are required for any installation, modification, or repair of mechanical systems including:
- Heating or Cooling Systems
- Venting Systems
Mechanical Permits are not required for:
- A portable heating appliance.
- Portable ventilation equipment.
- A portable cooling unit.
- A portable evaporative cooler.
- A closed system of steam, hot or chilled water piping within heating or cooling equipment regulated by the Mechanical Code.
- Replacement of any component part of assembly of an appliance which does not alter its original approval and complies with other applicable requirements of the technical code.
- Refrigerating equipment which is part of the equipment for which a permit has been issued pursuant to the requirements of the technical codes.
- A unit refrigerating system as defined in the Mechanical Code.
If a permit is required, this guide may help you through the permit process. A Flow Chart is also available for your assistance.
A Mechanical Permit Package consists of:
Preparing the documents
- Print off or pick up a Mechanical Permit Application. Fill out all information and sign application as contractor or owner / builder.
- When plans are drawn by:
- Architect or Engineer – Plans must be wet stamped and signed on every page.
- Contractor – Plans must list contractor information and be signed on every applicable page.
- Owner – Plans must be designed and signed by owner of every page. An owner can only draw plans for his own place of residence.
Submitting the Application
- Bring the Mechanical Permit Package to the Mesquite Building Department, located in City Hall at 10 E. Mesquite Blvd.
- A submittal fee must be paid when application is submitted. This fee will be applied to the permit. ($40 for Residential and $75 for Commercial)
- Plan review time is approximately 10-21 working days each time the application is submitted. Complete and accurate plans will shorten the time needed for review and resubmittal.
Corrections and Resubmitting
- If corrections are needed on the plans, the plan reviewer will call for you to pick up the plans. Plan Review Comments will be attached to the plans listing the corrections needed.
- Make the corrections and resubmit a full Mechanical Permit Package, Comment Sheet, and Sign Off Sheet. No further payment is needed for resubmittal.
Picking up the Approved Permit
- The Permit Technician will call when the permit is approved. They will tell you if additional fees are required.
- Come in to the Mesquite Building Department and pay additional fees, if any. You will be given a copy of the permit, an approved set of plans, and your receipt.
- If you are not sure of what inspections will be required, talk to the Permit Technician before you leave.
What’s the Next Step?
Click here for instructions on scheduling inspections.