Pool / Spa Permits are required for an artificial body of water that is eighteen (18) inches or more in depth, including:
- Swimming Pools
- In-ground Hot Tubs/Spas
- Water Features
Pool/Spa Permits are not required for:
· An artificial body of water that is less than (18) inches in depth.
· Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a group R-3 occupancy, as applicable in Section 101.2, of the 2006 International Building Code, which are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons (18 925 L) and are installed entirely above ground.
· Above ground Hot Tubs/Spas
If a permit is required, this guide may help you through the permit process. A Flow Chart is also available for your assistance. You can view the 2006 Southern Nevada Pool Code for help with pool requirements.
A Pool / Spa Permit Package consists of:
- One Pool / Spa Permit Application
- Two plot plans with barriers, pool location, grading, drainage and other required information, see example of a Plot Plan
- One soils test report in pool location, 5 feet below bottom of pool
- One manufacture’s installation guide on fiberglass pools
- One ICC or ICBO approval on fiberglass pools
- Two sets of structural engineering data on concrete pools
Preparing the documents
- Print off or pick up a Pool/Spa Permit Application. Fill out all information and sign application.
- On minimum 8 ½ x 11 sheet of paper, draw a Plot Plan showing the location of the pool including setbacks, the location of pool equipment, the secondary barrier, and any other items required.
- If the pool or spa is located closer than 10 feet to the back property line or 5 feet from a side property line, a Permission to Occupy Easement must be completed. See form for details.
- Obtain Southern Nevada Health District approval on commercial plans prior to Bldg. Dept. submittal.
Submitting the Application
- Bring the Pool/Spa Permit Package to the Mesquite Building Department, located in City Hall at 10 E. Mesquite Blvd.
- A $40 submittal fee must be paid when application is submitted. This fee will be applied to the permit.
- Plan review time is approximately 10-21 working days each time the application is submitted. Complete and accurate plans will shorten the time needed for review and resubmittal.
Corrections and Resubmitting
- If corrections are needed on the plans, the plan reviewer will call for you to pick up the plans. Plan Review Comments will be with the plans listing the corrections needed.
- Make the corrections and resubmit a full Pool/Spa Permit Package, Comment Sheet, and Sign Off Sheet. No further payment is needed for resubmittal.
Picking up the Approved Permit
- The Permit Technician will call when the permit is approved and tell you if additional fees are required.
- Come in to the Mesquite Building Department and pay additional fees, if any. You will be given a copy of the permit, the approved Pool/Spa Detail Plans, and your receipt.
- If you are not sure of what inspections will be required, talk to the Permit Technician before you leave.
What’s the Next Step?
Click here for instructions on scheduling inspections.