Wall Permits are required for:
- Concrete walls over 4 feet high
- Block walls over 4 feet high
- Retaining walls over 2 feet high
- Rockery Walls (see requirements for Rockery Walls)
- Trash Enclosures
Wall Permits are not required for fences up to 6 feet in height, including:
- Wood fences
- Chain link fences
- Vinyl or plastic fences
- Wrought iron fences
If a permit is required, this guide may help you through the permit process. A Flow Chart is also available for your assistance.
A Wall Permit Package consists of:
Preparing the documents
- Print off or pick up a Wall Permit Application. Fill out all information and sign application.
- Print off two of Mesquite’s approved Wall City Standards, or if required, obtain a plan from a Nevada Licensed Engineer.
- On minimum 8 ½ x 11 sheet of paper, draw a Plot Plan showing the location of each wall, height of each wall, and any gates installed.
- If wall is to be located on a shared property line, a notarized Property Line Authorization must be signed by both property owners for each wall or portion of wall on a shared property line.
Submitting the Application
- Bring the Wall Permit Package to the Mesquite Building Department, located in City Hall at 10 E. Mesquite Blvd.
- A $40 submittal fee must be paid when application is submitted. This fee will be applied to the permit.
- Plan review time is approximately 10-21 working days each time the application is submitted. Complete and accurate plans will shorten the time needed for review and resubmittal.
Corrections and Resubmitting
- If corrections are needed on the plans, the plan reviewer will call for you to pick up the plans. Plan Review Comments will be with the plans listing the corrections needed.
- Make the corrections and resubmit a full Wall Permit Package, Comment Sheet, and Sign Off Sheet. No further payment is needed for resubmittal.
Picking up the Approved Permit
- The Permit Technician will call when the permit is approved. They will tell you if additional fees are required.
- Come in to the Mesquite Building Department and pay any additional fees. You will be given a copy of the permit, the Wall Detail, the Plot Plan and your receipt.
- If you are not sure of what inspections will be required, talk to the Permit Technician before you leave.
What’s the Next Step?
Click here for instructions on scheduling inspections.