Residential/Dwelling Permits are required for new single family dwellings, including:
- Detached Single Family
- Attached Single Family
If a permit is required, this guide may help you through the permit process. A Flow Chart is also available for your assistance.
A Residential/Dwelling Permit Package consists of:
- One Residential/Dwelling Permit Application with all signatures and information including correct address
- Three sets of complete building plan packages (site plans, architectural, structural, mechanical and electrical). The minimum size of plans can be 24” x 36” sheets. See our Plan Review for Residential Construction handout for information on plan requirements
- One pad certification due at submittal or finish floor elevation certificate due prior to rough framing inspection, which must be wet-stamped by Nevada Engineer
- One grading and drainage certifications
- Two pre-engineered truss drawings with hanger hardware called out (if used)
- Two energy calculations (‘06 IECC)
Preparing the documents
- Print off or pick up a Residential/Dwelling Permit Application. Fill out all information and sign application as contractor or owner / builder. Plumbing, mechanical and electrical contractors must sign the permit prior to submitting.
- When plans are drawn by:
- Architect or Engineer – Plans must be wet stamped and signed on every page.
- Contractor – Plans must list contractor information and be signed on every applicable page.
- Owner – Plans must be designed and signed by owner on every page. An owner can only draw plans for his own place of residence.
Submitting the Application
- Bring the Residential/Dwelling Permit Package to the Mesquite Building Department, located in City Hall at 10 E. Mesquite Blvd.
- A $700.00 submittal fee must be paid when application is submitted. This fee will be applied to the permit.
- Plan review time is approximately 10-21 working days each time the application is submitted. Complete and accurate plans will shorten the time needed for review and resubmittal.
Corrections and Resubmitting
- If corrections are needed on the plans, the plan reviewer will call for you to pick up the plans. Plan Review Comments will be with the plans listing the corrections needed.
- Make the corrections and resubmit a full Residential/Dwelling Permit Package, Comment Sheet, and Sign Off Sheet. No further payment is needed for resubmittal.
Picking up the Approved Permit
- The Permit Technician will call when the permit is approved and tell you if additional fees are required.
- Come in to the Mesquite Building Department and pay any additional fees. You will be given a copy of the permit, one set of approved plans, an inspection card and your receipt.
- A copy of your receipt from the Virgin Valley Water District for paid water impact fee must be given to the Building Department before a permit can be issued.
- If you are not sure of what inspections will be required, talk to the Permit Technician before you leave.
What’s the Next Step?
Click here for instructions on scheduling inspections.