Residential Modification Permits are required for addition, modification, repair, including:
- Structural modifications
Residential Modification Permits are not required for minor interior and exterior renovations, including:
- Carpeting and flooring
- Cabinetry and carpentry
If a permit is required, this guide may help you through the permit process. A Flow Chart is also available for your assistance.
A Residential Modification Permit Package consists of:
- One Residential Modification Permit Application
- Three plot plans with complete current address see example of a Plot Plan
- Three drawings of the modification using current codes are required with complete details for any electrical, mechanical, and plumbing changes.
- Two structural calculations (when needed)
- Two energy calculations are required when adding any conditional living area square footage to a building; calculations are for that area only.
- Two soils investigation report is required if adding over 600 square feet to a structure at the time of submittal.
Preparing the documents
- Print off or pick up a Residential Modification Permit Application. Fill out all information and sign application as contractor or owner / builder. Plumbing, mechanical and electrical contractors must sign the permit prior to submitting.
- When plans are drawn by:
- Architect or Engineer – Plans must be wet stamped and signed on every page.
- Contractor – Plans must list contractor information and be signed on every applicable page.
- Owner – Plans must be designed and signed by owner of every page. An owner can only draw plans for his own place of residence.
Submitting the Application
- Bring the Residential Modification Permit Package to the Mesquite Building Department, located in City Hall at 10 E. Mesquite Blvd.
- A $40 submittal fee must be paid when application is submitted. This fee will be applied to the permit.
- Plan review time is approximately 10-21 working days each time the application is submitted. Complete and accurate plans will shorten the time needed for review and resubmittal.
Corrections and Resubmitting
- If corrections are needed on the plans, the plan reviewer will call for you to pick up the plans. Plan Review Comments will be with the plans listing the corrections needed.
- Make the corrections and resubmit a full Residential Modification Permit Package, Comment Sheet, and Sign Off Sheet. No further payment is needed for resubmittal.
Picking up the Approved Permit
- The Permit Technician will call when the permit is approved. They will tell you if additional fees are required.
- Come in to the Mesquite Building Department and pay additional fees, if any. You will be given a copy of the permit, an approved set of plans, an inspection card and your receipt.
- If you are not sure of what inspections will be required, talk to the Permit Technician before you leave.
What’s the Next Step?
Click here for instructions on scheduling inspections.